- How To Travel: If any book can make your first trip a success, this is it. For best results, read Rick Steves’ Europe Through the Back Door 2012 before you’ve even decided when, where, or how you’ll travel in Europe!
- Sage Advice: Packed with lessons gleaned from 30 years of budget travel, Rick’s travel handbook answers all the questions you have now — and those you wouldn’t have asked until faced with them on your trip.
- All the Essentials: Annually updated chapters on packing, itinerary planning, budgeting your time and money, transportation, language, web/phones, safety, staying healthy, Rick’s favorite “back door” destinations, and much more.
- Timely topics: Apartment rentals, GPS devices, smartphones, using your credit card in Europe, traveling with kids, calling over the Internet and the best online resources.
- It Works: John Flinn of the San Francisco Chronicle writes, “Of all the dunderheaded things I did on my first trip to Europe, the dumbest thing was failing to read Rick Steves’ Europe Through the Back Door before I went. Simply put, it’s the most valuable tool I’ve ever found for traveling independently in Europe.”